Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

My turtle boogs..

Last May, I got this turtle at Magallanes. I don't know what kind of turtle he is though but he's big and brown (AKA "bisaya" turtle or local turtle). I named him Boogs because that time I went to the ear doctor and had mine removed. Anyhow, when I first bought him I wasn't sure if he was healthy enough because his shell was cracked which was a sign of an unhealthy turtle but I bought him anyway and also bought him a new home. I didn't know what I got myself in to though because I didn't know turtles crapped ALL THE TIME. So for every 2 to 3 days, I kept changing his water because he might get sick and die (and I was just finally able to get him back to full health). So anyway, for the next few months I didn't know that you could buy a filter specially for turtle aquariums and it was not until I visited this petshop in Parkmall, Cebu that I discovered this small filter/fountain/oxygen thing which is perfect for Boogs. It cost only about P290 and I couldn't wait to install it back home. The name of the product is Power 150 filter, it doesn't have a brand name. It's pretty simple, it sucks in the dirty water, filters the solid particles (poo and left over food) and blows out clean water in the other end. I'm still on the 4th day using it and so far so good, the water is still clear. The downside was it had no user manual so I basically had to do a trial and error thing like:

1) I didn't know you had to make sure the filter was free from any blockage on all sides or else it doesn't work. On my second day using it, I put the filter to close to the rocky bottom of Boog's aquarium and I thought it didn't work but when I pulled up the filter gadget a bit, the water cleared in a little more than an hour. It was amazing.

2) I didn't know what some of the components were especially the accessories so it took me about 3 days to figure out that I can use it as a fountain as well! However, my turtle hated the theatrics because it excited him and he would literally run it over with his body so I had to remove the fountain heads accessories.

3) The turtle is having trouble adjusting with the moving water so when I feed him I guess I have to turn off the Power 150 filter so he can eat his pellets.

Here's his pic with his new and improved home. I will definitely get him a bigger aquarium soon because he is getting too big for this one.


I don't know what type of turtle he is but if anybody knows can you help me on how to care for him? I think he is healthy but if I can make my turtle happy then the better.

He doesn't like to swim, I tried putting him in deep water, he just floats. He doesn't like to be under water too long because he always sticks his head up but he likes his head to always be wet.. hmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment